Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trimmed Image Tip

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I hope you've had a chance to craft this week and if not hopefully you'll find a few minutes to soon.

Today I wanted to address a question I received from Francie & Tammy. Actually I get asked about this problem quite frequently so I thought I'd share it here as well...

How do I cut out images so that I always have a nice crisp black edge?

Well I have a little secret that I want to share with you all ~

I always edge my trimmed images with a black marker!

NOTE: This will work with most types of images including stamped images, digital images, collage images, etc.

edges 001

Before I get to the marker I wanted to talk a bit about the scissors I use. I firmly believe that the scissors you use make a great difference in the difficulty/ease of cutting out images. I prefer to use Fiskars Micro Tip Spring Action scissors for several reasons.

*They hold a very sharp edge. I have had these scissors since I began scrapbooking back in 1999 and they are still razor sharp.

*These scissors also have a nice micro tip which enables me to cut very fine, precise edges.

*The spring action feature that these scissor offer enables you to cut and trim with very little stress. When you use ordinary scissors you have to pull open every time you close the scissors to make a cut... These scissors open back up for you so you're actually only don't half the work.

*These scissors also have a comfort grip (no finger holes like regular scissors!).

O.k...so enough about scissors ~ on to the nifty edging tip....

Let's say this is a typical stamped and trimmed image. Notice how much of the black edge was trimmed off in many areas while it was left intact in other areas. It's o.k. but it's not going to win any prizes.

edges 002

Well to fix this image right up all you have to do is run a marker across the edge and you'll be all set! I like to hold my marker steady and move the image instead of the other way around. This will help to minimize any mistakes I might make other wise. For example, when you move the marker you might slip causing the marker to skid across the image ruining it in the process. I also like to use the side of the marker instead of the tip to actually apply the color ~ again to help minimize mistakes.

This is the same image as pictured above. You can instantly see what a difference the marker line makes. The image just pops right off the page! And it only takes a matter of seconds to complete. I use this little trick on all of the images I cut out.

edges 004

So there you go...

I hope this little tip helps take out some of the frustrations associated with cutting out your images!

7 comments:

  1. Roni, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly about those scissors. I don't know how I ever crafted without them. I use a computer in my job and at home as well and have been developing some pain and stiffness in my right index finger - 'mouse finger,' some people call it. Using these scissors does not require you to squeeze that finger to make it work. It is pain free. Great tip, too! I like to cut below the line whenever possible and edge in gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea about using the marker after you cut. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great tip. I will be off tomorrow to get a pair of those scissors.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - I love the Fiskars scissors! And, adding the black marker around the image is a wonderful tip - makes all the difference! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks for all these tips. I shall definitely look into investing in a pair of these scissors too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, thanks for the great tips.

    Hmm... I dun see these scissors in LSS, guess I need to search online for good deals...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!