Monday, April 5, 2010

Mystery Technique ~ Flower Soft Faux Pussy Willow!

YES, a couple people guessed correctly!

Victoria was the very first guess and she got it right off the bat!!

Wooo Hooo!!!

When I was a little kid I LOVED Spring time because we had a pussy willow shrub in the side yard. I loved to "pet" the catkins (the fuzzy things) because I thought they felt like kitty toes - LOL!! When I found that old postcard I knew I had to give making my own faux pussy willow branches a try!

So here is what I did....

Flower Soft Faux Pussy Willow

A bit about some of the supplies I used...I started off using the butterscotch colored wire because some varieties of the pussy willow has a yellow cast to it. You could use brown, copper or plain wire ~ it's totally up to you. The wire I used for the branches is some awesome stuff. I found mine at Michaels but I'm sure they have it many places in the floral section.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 001

Supplies:

Flower Soft - Ivory

Butterscotch Coated Wire or Plain Wire

Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue (or Flower Soft Glue)

Grapevine Wrapped Wire (found in the Floral areas)

Instructions:

1. Cut several pieces of wire 3-5" long. You will need two pieces for each catkin you want to make.

2. Twist two wires together...

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 004

Turn and twist the opposite two wires together...

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 005

Turn one more time and twist the original wires together then bring all of the wires together and secure at the bottom. You're basically making a little oval cage for the glue & Flower Soft. Be sure to make several sizes since real catkins come in all sizes.

When you're finished twisting the wire it should look similar to this....

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 006

3. Now coat the entire end in glue as shown...

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 007

4. Coat with the Flower Soft. I like to add lots so the catkin is very full.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 008

5. Let the glue/Flower Soft dry standing up. I use a foam piece that some decorative brads came in for this step.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 009

6. Cut a length of the grapevine wrapped wire. Saturate with water and let it soak in for several minutes. This will help with the next step.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 010

7. After the grapevine has softened up, carefully unwrap the grapevine from most of the wire. Leave the bottom 2-3" in tact.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 011

8. Place a larger catkin along the base of the wire. Re-wrap the grapevine around the catkin wire and the base wire tightly. This will hold everything together and cover the catkin wire.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 012

9. Continue wrapping and inserting additional catkins (working from large to small) up the branch. When you do so remember to vary the placement of the catkins. They don't naturally grow in a straight line up the branch.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 013

10. When you reach the top...snip off any extra branch wire". Secure the grapevine to the branch using the Super Thick Tacky Glue. Hold with a cloths pin if necessary until dry.

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 015

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOO excited about this...

it looks so real!

Flower Soft Pussy Willow 016

Tomorrow I'll try to have a few branches done so you can see them all together and if I have time I'll add them to a project of some sort.

So what do you think?

Pretty Cool Huh???

8 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'm glad I guessed the pussy willows. Now I need to figure out popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!! We had a couple of those bushes n our backyard too! So soft and fuzzy. Have a super week Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome Roni! My new LSS just started carrying Flowersoft!I have about 10 colors now and needed some new ideas to use it! Thanks for such a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni -

    This look fabulous! It really does look real! Great tutorial.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great "experiment" They really do look real! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea Roni! I love that fluffy stuff. It really looks real!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!