Tuesday, April 13, 2010

BFF Altered Book - Mini Album Challenge #4

YES!

Another installment in our BFF Altered Book/Mini Album!!

I hope you've all had a chance to play along if not maybe you can catch up at a later date.

BFF Altered Book

Challenge #4 -

The saying for today is:

4. When you're scared, we will high tail it out of here.

And the challenge is:

Use the Distressed Glue Technique I shared on Saturday!!

And here is my take on the challenge....

Supplies:

Distress Inks

Ink Blending Tool

Cardstock

Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue

Instructions:

1. Apply desired color(s) of Distress Ink to your cardstock.

bff4 006

2. Add glue and smear it around over the ink. I like to use Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue (more on the glue below).

bff4 007

3. Let the glue dry completely.

4. Apply a darker color of Distress Ink over the entire piece of paper... This will fill in the areas where you didn't apply the glue. The area that was covered in glue will allow the lighter colors of ink to show through.

AND YOU'RE DONE!!!

How easy and cool is that!

bff4 009

And here are my finished pages....

bff4 010

bff4 011

bff4 012

I have a special treat to share with you....one of my Ink Stained Friends...Kim Wilhelm has taken up the BFF Album Challenge and has allowed me the pleasure of sharing her first page spread with you all!! She is going with a cowgirl theme in her album and here is a link to her blog...Inspiration of the Day.

Kim Wilhelm BFF Album

THANKS KIM!!!

Now a bit more about the glue used in the Distressed Glue Technique. I originally tried this using Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue. I use this glue more than any other because it holds great and doesn't run like thinner glues. Well I decided to experiment with thinner types of glue just to see how well it would work.

My first experiment was with Glossy Accents. It worked pretty good over all. You have to be VERY careful that you don't get too much GA on the tag. It's super spreadable so a very small amount will cover LOTS of ground. If you add too much glue you'll cover up too much of the paper and not have enough uncovered left to distress.

bff4 013

The second test I did was with a thinner white glue ~ Aleene's Quick Dry Glue (similar to Elmers). Again, I got WAY too much glue on this tag and ended up with somewhat of a mess trying to wipe the excess off ...picture glue on every finger tip, then my palm then the side of my hand all trying to wipe up the excess glue - LOL!! Nobody can say I don't get into my art ;) As you will notice not much distressing on this tag because of it.

bff4 014

So I'm thinking it's either Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue or VERY add sparingly thinner glues. I might even go so far as to suggest dabbing a bit of the thinner glue on your finger and applying where desired to ensure you don't end up covered in glue trying to remove the extra - LOL!!

I'm not done experimenting with this technique...I've got a few other ideas I want to try out to see how they work. I'm thinkin' there are some way cool things you can do with this.

Tomorrow I hope to have the directions for assembling the carousel finished and photos taken.

Till then friends...

Have a crafty evening!!

4 comments:

  1. You pages are so cute. I love the glue technique - I have some ATCs done and awaiting embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do like this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roni -

    I am really loving this technique. I can't wait for the weekend, I'm hoping no company shows up so I can play and try this! I really love how this page of the mini album came out - it has so much atmosphere to it - just wonderful!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great background technique - I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!