Thursday, October 5, 2017

Handyman's Holiday Hop

Today I have the honor of participating in the Handyman's Holiday Blog Hop and our challenge was to alter a paint brush!  Make the rounds and be inspired. We could choose any of the Fall/Winter holidays we wanted but of course I choose Halloween...my fav...


BOO!  Here is mine! It's been so long since I've taken some time to make a fun Halloween item and this was the perfect opportunity to do so.  If you can't tell, I had lots of fun making this...I got painty, inky and sticky all over.  Do you know how hard it is to make glue gun strings when you actually WANT them???  Silly me!




As luck would have it a couple weeks before I was invited to join in the hop I bought this grungy old paint brush at a flea market at an antique tractor show. It just had such a fun look - I couldn't pass it up for just 50 cents!  Of course everyone thought I was nuts because it was stiff with old paint, rusty and all gunked up.  In my eyes I knew it would be perfect for something.




I started off painting the paint brush with a coat of Micaceous Iron Oxide (Golden). I LOVE this paint - it's got an instant grungy feel to it...yes, I grunged up my grungy paint brush even more.  LOL!! I then dipped the tips of the brush it's self in red paint for a bit of drippy looking "blood".


I then started on the main "character"...  I knew he had to be a bit dark and spooky so this was my guy...  He was also grunged up with a touch of the iron oxide paint, his "wings" are MDF pieces I've had in my stash for years that were painted black then highlighted with Lavish Green Metallic Lustre (DecoArt).  His vial is a plastic candy holder I bought just for the vial - LOL!!  Can you guess what it's filled with???



He has a pet eyeball as well as a pet spider that's trying to climb up his leg.  I didn't have an eyeball in my collection so I made one...from trash.  No kidding, I pulled out a piece of shipping tape and some pattern paper tissue that I threw away. I wound the tissue around the tape, painted it white then colored the eye with markers.



I also made a book for him to hold his "recipes".  In this pic. you can see some of the glue gun spider webbing that is all over this piece.  I mentioned it above but it's so hard to make those darn glue strings when you actually want them on your project. 



I hope you've enjoyed this spooky stop on the 
Handyman's Holiday Hop!

The next stop is Colleen.

Anytime you get lost a list of blogs is on D’s Paper Studio.

Our “Be Inspired Giftaway” is featured at D’s Paper Studio.  Check out Debby’s blog for details. Four winners will be chosen from comments on all the blog posts in the Handyman’s Holiday Hop.

Thanks to our generous sponsors:


Supplies:

Grungy Paintbrush
DecoArt - Metallic Lustre - Lavish Green, Fab Fuchsia; Black & White Acrylic Paint
Golden - Micaceous Iron Oxide Fluid Acrylic
Imagine - Memento Dual Tip Markers; All Purpose Ink
Misc. "Stuff" from my stash - skeleton, birdcage charm, labels, book pages, vial, spider web die-cut; etc.

23 comments:

  1. This is over the top fantastic! I can not believe all the wonderful ... spooky, creepy elements. I am enjoying every element of your brush. the skeleton, the vile of blood, the Micaceous Iron Oxide (perfect), the spider with the hot glue strings (love it). Wow! Incredible. Thank you, Roni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOO-tiful altered brush Roni :)
    OH, I love the brush you started with and I love the finished piece too, so many wonderful textures and spooky accents!
    Thank You for sharing and inspiring ... sadly I will have to start with a new brush, kicking myself for throwing out the "old" brushes from our last garage clean-up!
    TracyM #6773 from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very scary Halloween brush. So much wonderful detail, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cool Halloween themed brush... amazing collection of accents. love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME Halloween décor...amazing job with the details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Love all the details! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! There’s a lot of spooky stuff here. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You achieved your goal ~ so Spooky and designed so well:) I loved the brush before you altered it too: Great find~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a spooky scary brush! So many wonderful elements and details! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Now I need to find some brushes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning and fun Halloween brush. Love every little detail ... and there's a lot to love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was so worth waiting for-it is spooktacular. I honestly love everything about it. I've bookmarked in my Halloween Hall of Fame folder for future reference. But please tell me-what is the blood?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Everyone here agrees that there is a lot going on here and it's all GREAT! So creative and imaginative! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous! What a great way to use the paint brush.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely awesome!! Every last bit!! The old brush really gives it the Halloween feel too. I totally get the hot glue gun strings when you want them. Always there when you dont! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely in love with this project and super inspired to try my own Halloween altered paint brush - you have so many great details!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a great job of packing a lot of creativity into this project! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So creative!!! I love that you incorporated a Halloween theme! Really fun and fabulous idea, thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO CREATIVE!!! One of my favorite bryshes from the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much to look at on this brush! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Roni, your paintbrush took my breath away and entertained me all at the same time. Thank you for participating in the blog hop, giving valuable advice, being an example of how this done. Thank you Roni. I hope we "work" together again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!