Friday, April 12, 2013

Hand Sanitizer + Dye Reinkers

A few weeks ago I shared my Hand Sanitizer & AI technique that I had been playing with. 
I got an e-mail from a couple readers both asking the same question... 
 
Will this technique work with reinkers instead of Alcohol Inks?
 
I hadn't tried it with re-inkers at that point so I decided to give it a try to see what would happen.
 
I followed exactly the same steps but exchanged a couple colors of dye ink instead of the alcohol inks and here are the results....

 
The example on the bottom is the piece of cardstock that I originally applied the HS & Reinker to.  When I applied the ink to the hand sanitizer it immediately started running off the top of the sanitizer.  You can see around the edges where it pooled (darker, concentrated areas).  I blended it just as I did in the original technique. 
 
I noticed that the inks were very wet and of course since it wasn't alcohol based it wasn't drying very quickly so I laid a second sheet of cardstock over the first.  I pressed the paper into the sanitizer/ink mix and then peeled it off.  The results of this second sheet of cardstock is what you see at the top of the photo.  I don't know about you but I almost like the second sheet better than the first. 
 What do you think?
 
Now, compare those results with the original....
 
Hand Sanitizer & AI 009

The results are totally different, surprisingly different.
There is no real layers of color visible in the Reinker example that you find in the AI results.
That being said, I think the reinker results are beautiful in their own right and would make a great background just as the AI results do.
 
SO, if you were wanting to try this technique but didn't have the Alcohol Inks give Reinkers a try...granted, you won't get the same results but they are unique and beautiful none the less.
If you do, I'd love to hear what you think of the results once you see them in person.
 
I hope you have some time to play this weekend...
Here's to Ink Stains on your Fingers :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, love the results! They look like water color backgrounds. Since I have a HUGE bottle of hand santizer (and I am talking about enough to serve a hospital) I have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!