Recently I was lucky enough to win a box full of vintage glass furniture coasters at a local auction! There were two differnt sizes, small ones about 2.5" across and larger 3.5" ones. Well I knew when I saw them that I wanted to try to turn them into paper weights.... I did and it worked!
Altered Vintage Glass Coaster
Just a note - this IS a simple yet time consuming process but the finished paper weight will give you an amazing detailed 3-D effect that you won't get by any other means.
Vintage Glass Furniture Coaster
Crystal Lacquer or similar
1. Fill the bottom of the coaster with a bit of CL.
2. Press desired color of cardstock into the bottom of the coaster.
3. Now press a piece of text over the cardstock into the CL. Let this layer dry completely.
4. After the initial layer of paper/lacquer has dried it's time to begin the layering.... Gather desired small collage images, any words you might want to add to the collage as well as any embellishments you think you want to incorporate.
5. Add a layer of CL over the inital layer. Place 2-3 of your elements in the wet CL. Let this layer dry completely. This is where we begin to create the 3 D effect. By adding just a few elements in each layer of CL you will be lifting each element closer to the top while the original pieces are further in the background....
6. Continue adding addtional elements in consecutive layers. While this takes a bit of planning it is well worth it.... Remember to let each layer dry completely before moving to the next.
7. Once you have added your final layer and it has dried, begin adding additional layers of CL until the coaster is filled to the top....
8. And here is my "Love Letters from Paris" paper weight!
Remember we added the cardstock at the very beginning....well when the paper weight/coaster is viewed from the side the entire base reflects the cardstock color as shown here. Pretty cool huh?
And there you have it!