Friday, March 11, 2011

Shrink Plastic Shamrock Charm

Since so many people have asked for more and more charms I am planning on sharing a charm a week for well I guess as long as I can still think of them.  I don't think I'm going to have a set day for them...they'll just pop up when I'm inspired and today happens to be one of those days!

I have to tell you this charm turned out totally different than I originally envisioned it but I like it even better than my first idea so here goes...

Shrink Plastic
Shamrock Charm

Supplies:

Grafix Shrink Plastic - Clear
Heat Tool or oven
Archival Ink
Alcohol Ink
Heart Punch or Pattern
(optional) Celtic Stamp (Just For Fun Rubber Stamps)
Super Glue or Jewelry Glue 
Krylon Copper Paint Pen
Copper Jump Ring

Instructions:

1. Punch or cut out three or four hearts the same size from clear or white shrink plastic.  I used a 1 1/4" heart punch.  

You will need to cut out a stem ~ I used a scrap from a piece of shrink plastic that I had previously cut out a circle.  The scrap between two circles was the perfect shape for the stem!  (so don't toss your scraps ~ you never know when they might come in handy) 

Shamrock Charm 001

2. Shrink all of your pieces either in the oven or using your heat tool.

Shamrock Charm 003

3. Apply desired color of Alcohol Inks to your shamrock pieces.  I am using Citrus, Lettuce and Meadow.

Shamrock Charm 004

Shamrock Charm 005

4. Cut a piece of shrink plastic 3" x 3 1/4" ~ punch a hole on one of the 3" sides.

5. (optional) If desired, stamp this piece with Celtic script background stamp and Archival Ink. 

Shamrock Charm 007

6. Shrink this tag with a heat tool or in the oven.

7. Glue the Shamrock pieces to the tag using Super Glue or Jewelry Glue.  I like to use either Locktite Super Glue or Aleene's Jewelry Glue.  IMO They seem to hold better than regular glues on jewelry or items being handled or worn.

8. Apply some sort of paint pen to the edge of the charm.  I like Krylon's Paint Pens...for this charm I used copper (my fav!).

Shamrock Charm 008

9. Add a jump ring and you're done!! 

Note: Instead of a jump ring you could glue it to a pin bale for a nice little pin.

Shamrock Charm 009

So there you go...

Another fun charm to tuck in your bag of tricks!

By simply switching out the shamrock for other shapes (egg, flower, flag, etc.) you could create a charm for any occasion!

16 comments:

  1. This is great Roni, I love the Celtic background stamp behind the shamrock, it looks fabulous. Another awesome idea. You are a dynamo in the ideas department! Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wicked cool! How in the world do you think of this stuff?! I love it! You ARE the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable Roni. My youngest daughter was born on st. Patrick's day so this would be a great thing to add to a layout for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Gonna give this a try! I bought that shrink plastic a month ago or so, and now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! That is such a neat-looking charm!

    --Mina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Roni -

    Now this is just beautiful! I love how this turned out. I will be giving this a go. Way too cute!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni you are so clever and an endless source of inspiration for me. Thank you!

    Sue in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an amazing charm! The celtic stamp really adds so much to this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea - thanks for the inspiration! mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just sooo cute! I can't wait for my charms to arrive. Already, I'm thinking that I will steal your charmed necklace idea -- and most of the charms on your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I received my charms today, thank you so much. Love them all. I really enjoyed this swap and hope you might do another one :)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!