Monday, March 21, 2011

Mom Gothic Arch - #3 Color Blocking Stamped Art

This week we're going to be hitting our Arch book pretty hard with 3 if not 4 pages if we can squeeze them in.

Today I wanted to share a fun technique that combines ephemera, inks and stamps! 

Color Blocking Stamped Art

Supplies:

Chipboard (med/light weight)
Glue
Book Page(s)
Gesso or White Acrylic Paint
Ink Blending Tool or Sponge
Inks (color)
Scrap Paper
Stamps
Black Ink
Embellishments

Instructions:

1. Glue the book page or pages (depending on how large your individual pages are) to the chipboard.  Try to make sure that there are no air bubbles and it is glued down completely.

Because I didn't want any blank spaces I tore off all the white edges of each page.  I ended up using parts of 4 book pages because of this. 

Let the glue dry completely.

  Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 005

2. Apply a thin layer of gesso or watered down white acrylic paint to your book pages.  We're just trying to tame down the text without obliterating it completely.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 006

You'll notice in this photo that some areas of my paper bubbled up after I added the gesso...  This is because that area wasn't completely covered in glue when it was applied.  No worries... it won't effect the end product negatively but you don't want areas like this all over.  It could cause trouble when you go to cut out your arch.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 007

3. Tear the edges of a few pieces of scrap paper, post it notes or masking paper.  I am using scrap paper for the example.   Place the torn scraps on your gesso'ed chipboard so they form a small boxed in area.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 009

4. Apply desired color of ink to this small area using a sponge or Ink Blending Tool & Foam.   I like to use lighter colors of ink for this step but you can use whatever colors you want.

When you move the scraps you will now have a nifty little block of color on your book pages.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 011

5. Continue blocking off areas of your chipboard and ink with various colors of ink.  You can choose to use one or two colors or use as many as you would like.  I have used many different colors for my example.

Note:  You may need to use additional pieces of torn scrap paper for some of your blocks.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 011

Your finished piece may look something similar to this....

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 013

6. Now stamp an image into each block of color using black ink.  If your stamp is larger than the allotted space, use the scraps of paper to cover and protect other areas from the over hang. 

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 014

7. Trace and cut out your Gothic Arch.

8. (optional) If desired, ink the edges with black ink and scuff it up a bit for a grungier look.

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 015

9. Add your sentiment and embellish as desired.  I also mounted my arch onto my book page (the black background).

And here is what my finished arch looks like.....

Mom Gothic Arch - #4 - Color Block Art 016

It's now your turn!

You will need to gather a few supplies for a couple upcoming pages. 
You'll need several magazine photos, packing tape and a dictionary (not to look up words) you can tear pages from.

Have a great day!!

9 comments:

  1. Such a wonderfully simple technique that yields beautiful results! I cannot wait to get home and start my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni -

    What a great technique! I love how it looks when completed. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's wonderful, thanks for the step by step photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for showing how to make this spiffy arch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this - what immediately jumped out at me, though, is the way you glued two pieces of paper together. I know that may not seem like a big deal, but I would never think to do that, but that "imperfection" gives the piece even more charm. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I never thought of using this way to create the block stamping! This is such a great idea and thanks for sharing, Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love my page! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I look forward to see what you will be sharing with us each day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tried this Roni, now I will. Love your arches, so creative and amazingly you make them look so simple.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!