Sunday, April 14, 2019

Blender Brush Hack

Let's talk blender brushes...
I'm sure some of you may already know about this but I just wanted to put it out there because it just blows me away every time I see an ad for them.  Well, and because I'm cheap. I can't stand to overpay for items just because they are packaged for the craft industry. That is why I have all sorts of funky, off brand objects and tools in my craft room ;)

One of the hottest new trends in the stamping/mixed media world are blending brushes...you know those sleek looking brushes in rounds, ovals, etc. They are offered now by several different companies all for the same basic price(s). A small set of those brushes (5-6 brushes) retails for around $25.00 or you can get the large set which has 8-10 brushes for a whopping $50.00!! 

I had the opportunity to try a set at a make & take and they worked really nice but when I found out the price tag I had to walk away...WAY too expensive for my taste. Crazy money for a set of brushes IMO. So, I went in search of and as it turns out these brushes can be found in the cosmetic world for a fraction of what the "ink blending brushes" cost.


I actually bought 2 different sets to try just to see if random brands worked and they did. I found this set of brushes on Amazon for 9.00 (free shipping) the second set I bought was 15.00 (free shipping) (it was really cute pink which I gave to my DIL after testing them) but that set came with the stand you see in the picture.  Guess what? They are the same exact thing!!! They feel the same, they work the same, the only difference is the price tag!!!   A $35.00 to $40.00 savings FOR THE SAME THING!!!!!!  Doesn't that just fry your taters... I hate it when they take a relatively inexpensive product, slap a "name" on them and charge you 5x what it's worth.


Black Set (brushes only) (8.99 - Free Amazon Shipping w/Prime) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0BJP13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


I merged the 9.00 set with the stand from the other set and they now happily reside on the corner of my desk :)


Because the brushes came in a small box one of the brushes (above) has a small blemish along the outer edge of the bristles (to the right of the handle - the bristles stick out a bit) but it doesn't effect how it works at all.


I have tried them with stencils (as I did at the make & take) and I tried them just inking up and blending on paper, I've used the smaller ones to color images and they all work perfectly!

So if you'd like to stay trendy without spending the big bucks give them a try...
I highly recommend them - they work like a charm!


9 comments:

  1. I'm with you Roni, why pay extra just cos it's got a name on it. I always wonder if anyone bought the TH spray cabinet. It's a cardboard box, cut diagonally in half. Has anyone actually spent $5/$7 on that?? I appreciate that innovation and new products cost money to produce but sticking a couple of buttons in a packet and adding a name and charging $$'s is taking the proverbial. But I suppose some people want to pay for the name. I am so glad you test drive everything on your blog and give us the low down on what works, and what's good value for money. Love and Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome! Yeah, there are several things on the market right now that leave you scratchin' your head isn't there? Some are just beyond words. And I think you're right...payin' for the name is really important to some people...me not so much ;)

      Delete
  2. Do you have the Amazon link for the brushes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Patti, here you go - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0BJP13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I saw a You Tube on these brushes some time ago and when I saw the $50 price tag I said no way. I also went on a search and found them on Amazon at the lower price and bought 2 sets for me, a set for a friend and a set for my daughter-I still didn't spend the $50 with buying all 4 sets.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought both the $50 set and a set (10 brushes) from Amazon $8.50 just to compare. They were identical. I returned the $50 set for a refund. Why are people buying the hype? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, have you seen or tried the silicone 'brushes'? Someone uses them to apply paint when crafting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XLJK3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A33PBFTJFPHBXO&th=1 or the silicone mask brushes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J9YGF9D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3920THQ6R6GRF&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info, but can you please give us a link to the two sets you have. Amazon is bad about not always showing the same item when you do a search. I want to make sure I get the save one you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought them too, from Amazon. I think I paid $13 and got the black set with free shipping. I agree with you.....makes me mad when "they" inflate the price. I wont pay it....keep it. Love these brushes for stencils especially.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!