Wednesday, August 23, 2017

"Tried It" Jot Journals

I have never used the "Tried It" button on Pinterest so I was excited when I found out that the Club Scrap Artist Team Challenge for August was to choose something from the Club Scrap Pinterest Board and try it!

I had a hard time choosing because there are so many fun projects, techniques and ideas there but I finally chose to try these....Jot Journals!  

Mini Jot Journal--handmade  mini notebooks for purse or car made for pennies! #clubscrap

I picked them because I always seem to be searching for a piece of paper to write things down.  Usually the only thing I can find is the back of a gum wrapper or a corner torn from a piece of junk mail...these little beauties ought to solve that problem!  The tutorial for these cute little books can be found here - Mini Jot Journal.

Here is how mine turned out....


I am so happy with how these turned out.  These are definitely a Pinterest success!  I am so making more of these...they were so much fun to make and I think they will be great stocking stuffers this Christmas!  I used mixed media paper in these little journals because I wanted to take them to sketch/doodle in the car when I have to wait.  Tricia mentioned in her tutorial that you could use regular weight lined or copy paper, I thought it might be fun to use some graph paper or even watercolor paper for a tiny watercolor book.


I did change a couple things when making mine.  I switched up the size...I wanted them a bit smaller than the original because I have a small purse.  My Jot Journals are 3.5 x 5".   I was using some chipboard I had in my stash which I think was a bit thicker than what Tricia used so I scored the center fold line as well as a line on each side.  This seemed to help the thicker chipboard cover wrap around the inside contents better.


I used my ancient corner rounder to cut all of the pages/covers.  UGH - I promptly ordered a We R Memory Keepers Chomper - Corner Rounder after that!  My hands aren't as strong as they used to be and that's a lot of squeezing.  I'm sure it will be lots easier when I get the new chomper.


I stamped the images and colored them using Prismacolor colored pencils.  I LOVE how vibrant they look on the chipboard!  Really makes the images pop.  

I also changed how I bound these little books - I used elastic cord that was in my stash forever...that way I can change out the papers when they get used up w/o having to make an entirely new book.

And here they all are....


My wiggly mermaid journal.  Love those colors!


I thought it would be fun to have pink, purple and blue bubbles.


I hope you've enjoyed my version of Jot Journals and give it a try yourself.

The next stop on the hop is...


The complete list of inspiring CS Artist Team Links can be found here:


Thanks for stopping by!!

Supplies:

Club Scrap.com - Lagoon Cardstock & Stamps, Book Binding Glue
Imagine - VersaFine
Prismacolor - Colored Pencils
Chipboard, Mixed Media Papers, Elastic Cord

13 comments:

  1. So cute these little notebooks! Always handy and especially when they are so wonderfully decorated, Roni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how these came out, so cute Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need these! The colors are brilliant and inviting. I love how you make them reusable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the colored pencils look so vibrant on the chipboard. How clever to use the elastic cord to change out the pages when it's full. I'm going to try to make some to give my nieces and nephews with some colors for out family reunion road trip. Thanks for the inspiration Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these, will be making some soon. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about those bubbles for me. I love how you used shading to give them dimension. These are awesome little gifts...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful notebooks! I love the prismacoloring on the kraft paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours turned out super-cute and I love the little modifications you made to the size and style of binding. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your sweet little Journals, and how you designed the fronts of each! Beautiful job!
    hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. OHMYGOSH! I loved this when I first saw this and love it even more now that you tried it!!! I was looking online for unlined notebooks…. Duh it was here all along. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roni! So cute! Love the elastic band!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!