Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Steampunk Flower Pendant

Recently I joined a swap where you had to make a Steampunk Flower Pendant charm on the Facebook group - Art Charms.  I have been thinking about what to make ever since.  I knew I wanted to include lots of copper (it's my fav. metal color), a few gears and of course a bit of ink just because that's my thing.

Here's what I came up with....


What do you think?


I actually made 3 of them - 2 for the swap and one for me to keep/wear.  I am really happy with how they came out.  They have depth, different textures, a bit of sparkle (gemstone brad in the center) and lots and lots of copper.  Very me :)

Here's how I made them....


First I started off by die-cutting several flowers from copper - 2 large flowers for each pendant.  Some of the metal was inked before I die-cut (shown above) then embossed with a mini gear embossing folder.  I ran out of the inked copper and cut a couple plain copper then swiped the ink across the flower after it was embossed.  (see the bottom pendant in the photo showing the 3 charms.)  I think I like the pre-inked charms better - it's got more of a grunge look to it.


Next I die-cut a few flowers from gold colored aluminum metal that I inked with Spiced Chai Stazon to highlight the embossed texture.  I also die-cut some copper mesh (not shown).


And finally a few leaves which were embossed & inked with both Emerald City (darker green) and Spiced Chai StazOn ink.  LOVE the mix of colors.  Looks so pretty in person.

NOTE: I sanded all of the edges of each die-cut piece so it didn't have any sharp edges.


Time to assemble!  I used an oval filigree piece as the foundation for my pendant.  I started off by attaching the leaves to the pendant with a mini brad.


Next I gathered up all of the various flower components, a couple gears and a gemstone brad.  I poked holes in all of the flowers; threaded each element onto the brad in the desired order and secured the back of the brad.


I attached the flower to the pendant using Aleene's Glass Bead Jewelry Glue.


Here's the back just in case you were wondering what it looked like...
I also added a jump ring and lobster claw.

What do you think?  
Hope the recipients enjoy them.

5 comments:

  1. So pretty, they really do look very mechanical but also very delicate and floral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you are going to have some VERY happy recipients! What fun they must have been to create.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!