Friday, April 22, 2016

Our Creative Corner April Top Talent!!

Today I have the honor of being April's Top Talent over at Our Creative Corner!  I was given the opportunity because the plaque I made for February's Sew and Sew challenge was chosen as the winner.  I was asked to create another piece to share with the OCC followers as well as answer a few questions provided by the OCC staff.  Please be sure to stop over at Our Creative Corner and check out my Q & A's 

Here is what I created....


The theme this month over at OCC is Gypsy Fayre with the following image/colors for inspiration. Beautiful huh?  I thought so too!



I knew right away what I wanted to do! I've only ever seen gypsies on television but the first thing that comes to mind are their arms full of bright, beautiful bracelets! I've been wanting to make myself one of the layered bracelets for so long and I decided this was the perfect time to do so.  I gathered up all of my left over beads and decided to make myself a chunky gypsy bracelet...or at least what I picture they might fancy.  


I started off by slipping a length of cord into the button and securing with a knot.


I then used the ladder stitch to sew on the beads. The hardest part for me was quitting...I just kept wanting to add more beads. I have to be honest though - at first I jabbed my fingers with the needle quite a few times until I got into the groove.  Once I picked up the rhythm it was so much fun. In fact, I was so into that I added way too many beads - I didn't have enough cord left to tie it off so I ended up removing about 8-10 beads just to finish it.


I measured leather cord for a 5 wrap bracelet but never making one before I didn't realize that my beads were so large and chunky that it ended up being a 4 wrap bracelet instead.  You need to keep that in mind when you measure your cord - bead size makes a huge difference.  (They don't tell you that in any of the instructions I found.)  But in the end I love how it turned out and I'm very glad I decided to try it.


Thanks to OCC for inspiring me to finally give it a go!


8 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!! I love your bracelet, so colourful and perfect for the Gypsy Fayre. Hugs Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!!! I love your bracelet, so colourful and perfect for the Gypsy Fayre. Hugs Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun visiting your blog Roni. I can't remember meeting you before so it was a treat for me to see some of your wonderful creativity here. Your bracelet is just PERFECT for our Gypsy Fayre theme at Our Creative Corner. I know nothing about jewelry making and had never heard of a ladder stitch for beads but you did it up SUPER. Your bracelet is just STUNNING. j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun visiting your blog Roni. I can't remember meeting you before so it was a treat for me to see some of your wonderful creativity here. Your bracelet is just PERFECT for our Gypsy Fayre theme at Our Creative Corner. I know nothing about jewelry making and had never heard of a ladder stitch for beads but you did it up SUPER. Your bracelet is just STUNNING. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you really knocked this one out of the park, I too have never done the ladder stitch, but then I've only done the simplist of bracelet. I love that you always share. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you really knocked this one out of the park, I too have never done the ladder stitch, but then I've only done the simplist of bracelet. I love that you always share. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bracelet much. A really gypsy style and so nice.
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining in our Gypsy Fayre challenge at Our Creative Corner! What an exquisite bracelet. I am such a drooler right now. The colours, the arrangement - all of it is absolutely stunning. So pleased to have you make a piece of beuaty once again for us. -Candice-(tincanhandmade.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!