Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stipple Brush & Stencils Graduation Card

 
We had a graduation recently and I wanted to share the card I made for the graduate.  The background was made using a numbers stencil from Crafters Workshop and my big stipple brush.

I know most people use ink mists and sprays with their stencils but they are so versatile you can use just about any medium with them for great results.

To create this card I simply took a sheet of white cardstock and taped the stencil to the paper with a bit of painters masking tape.  This tape peels off easily and doesn't harm the paper in any way. 

I then stippled on black ink (keeping with the graduation theme) over the entire stencil.  You'll notice lighter and darker areas over the card...I did this on propose to give the illusion of movement and to help move the eye around the card.  If you pounce the ink in a solid covering you'll loose the whole stipple brush effect.

When I was satisfied with that area I peeled the stencil off and repositioned it to work on the next bit of cardstock since this is a 6x6" stencil.   Of course you could use any color of ink or use multiple colors if you'd like.

Once I had inked the entire sheet of cardstock I simply removed the stencil and painters tape then cleaned the stencil with warm soapy water.

After the ink was dry I went ahead and assembled the card.

So, next time you reach for the stencils, don't automatically reach for the mists or sprays....pull out your stipple brush and give it a whirl.  I'll bet you have as much fun as I did :)

2 comments:

  1. I love my stipple brushes - great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I tend to stipple til it's all even. I shall try and be a bit lighter next time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!