Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Faber Castell Aquarelle Watercolor Pencils

Recently I was lucky enough to receive a Faber-Castell Watercolor Kit from Altered Pages.  I've never played with F-C's Aquarelle Watercolor Pencils before so I was excited to give them a try.
The kit actually contains 5 pencils, a booklet on blending, 4 floral print mini canvases; a test/practice canvas and a few other bits.
Everything you need to get acquainted with these fun watercolor pencils so I started to play....
The very first thing I noticed is that these pencils are triangle shaped!  How cool is that, they didn't roll across my desk like my other watercolor pencils do.  They also have a nubby texture on the sides (you can sort of see the light blue dots on the pencils...those are slightly raised off the surface of the pencil). 
The watercolor medium goes on very smooth and once you hit them with water they blend quickly and easily.  If your brush is dry enough it turns the watercolors into a lovely creamy consistency.
A paint brush is included in the kit but I like to use my Waterbrush...no danger of tipping over a cup of water with the Waterbrush ;) 

Rather than having a simple one color flower I thought it would be fun to make the petals a blend of yellow and red.

I sort of screwed up around the flower center but I was able to fix it up some by blending most of the blue away and adding more red.

I really liked these pencils and would recommend them if you were in the market for new watercolors.  This is a great kit if you'd like to give these pencils a try before you buy an entire box full of their watercolor pencils. It would also make a great gift for an artsy friend.

Do you have a favorite watercolor pencil you use?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I only recently discovered the Aquarelle pencils and I LOVE them! I spent over an hour at an art supply store trying out all the water color pencils...heaven! I usually use Prisma watercolor pencils but their colors are limited. I also fell in love with the Inktense pencils...so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm in need of some new watercolor pencils and these look very interesting! I also use the Prisma and agree that they are limited in choice. So why not? I'm going to check these out. Thanks Roni!! Another way to spend his hard earned money!! :) Just kidding Dear!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!