Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"Lovely" Mica Charm - Pt. 1

I've been working on lots of cards and books and things for a while so I decided it was time for a change of pace. 

I think it's time for a charm....a mica charm to be exact!
Mmmmmm, if you've never worked with mica I highly recommend it. 
It's one of my favorite things to work with. 
It comes in many forms...the piece below is a mica tile. 

mica charm pt1 001
The great thing about the tiles is you can peel them apart and get many sheets from one chunk.  You'll notice that the thicker or more layers a mica tile has the deeper the sepia color is - single sheets have a transparent, vintage quality to them. 
mica charm pt1 003
Here are a variety of thicknesses so you get the idea.
mica charm pt1 002
I took two fairly thick sheets of mica which I wanted to use for my charm.  I gathered up the goodies I wanted to sandwich between the tiles and my Crystal Lacquer.
mica charm pt1 006
I applied bit of the CL to the tile then began layering on the flowers & sentiment.
mica charm pt1 007
Once I had everything where I wanted it, I added more CL and then added the 2nd sheet.  Now comes the hard part....  Dry Time!  Yuck - LOL!!   I'm not very good when it comes to waiting but this will take a while to dry because it's very humid here today and of course it is sandwiched between two non-porous surfaces.
mica charm pt1 009
So, this is where I'll leave the charm today and we'll pick it up again tomorrow once the tile has dried.
Hope to see you then!

3 comments:

  1. This is lovely, I haven't had the chance to work with Mica...but it looks like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen mica for sale in the UK, maybe it's a US thing. I have seen a few people using it so maybe I should get some and give it a go.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!