Thursday, December 8, 2011

25 Gifts & Ornaments #9 - Rag Ball Ornament

Hi All!

I hope you're having a wonderful day so far....

Today I wanted to share one of my favorite types of ornaments....torn fabric ornaments.  They have such a vintage feel yet they can be dressed up fit for any tree!

25 Gifts & Ornaments
#9 - Rag Ball Ornaments

Supplies:

Fabric
Styrofoam Ball
Pin
Embellishments

Instructions:

1. Gather your fabric ~ this could be any pattern or color combination you desire.  I am going with green/cream.  By varying the color combos and patterns you could make these ornaments to match virtually any theme you can think of...

Rag Wrapped Ornament 1


2. Tear the fabric into 1/2" - 1" strips.   After you tear the strips remove any loose threads...  I know this takes a bit of time but it makes for a nicer finished look.  If I don't have enough fringe on the sides of my strips I will pull a few extra threads from the material so they are nice an frayed.
Rag Wrapped Ornament 2

3. Begin wrapping each strip around the ball once. Use a single straight pin to secure each layer...you can kind of see it there in the middle of the dark green layer.  

Each new layer should start at the top center and wrap beside the previous layer of material.  If you'd like you can use a pick or paper piercer to fluff the ragged edges so they stick out and aren't covered by the next layer.

NOTE: You're going to start and stop at the same point for each layer.
Rag Wrapped Ornament 3

4. After you have added your final strip of fabric secure all layers with the single straight pin.
Rag Wrapped Ornament 4

5. Make a hanging loop for your ornament from one final strip of material and secure it with the same straight pin. 

6. Add a bow and any embellishments you would like....

Rag Wrapped Ornament 5

These little gems are so much fun to make and really add personality and a special warmth to any tree!

3 comments:

  1. I love these! I think this would be great to make with kids. I have to make some of these (ok, I'm a big kid). Thanks Roni!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't that just so effective :)
    Von x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun, super easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!