Friday, November 5, 2010

Variation on Embossed Alcohol Ink Resist Technique

As promised I wanted to share a variation of the Embossed Alcohol Ink Resist Technique I shared earlier this week.  This is an excellent way to add lots of depth and dimension to your card because you will be using multiple layers and colors to bring it all together.

JFF 11-5-10 007

Basically you are going to use the same supplies you used in the original technique ~ Glossy Cardstock, Clear Embossing Ink & Powder, Alcohol Inks, etc.   The main difference is you are going to plan your stamp placement ahead of time and ink accordingly.  What do I mean by this?

I am going to use the card above as my example...

- I inked the glossy cardstock green where I knew the trees were going to be.  I used a light color of alcohol ink for this initial layer (Lettuce) because I wanted it to really pop on the finished card.

- After I stamped and embossed the trees where desired using the clear embossing ink and powder.

- *Here is the difference from the original technique....Next I applied a variety of  green alcohol inks only over the trees.  I then applied 2-3 colors of blue alcohol inks to the rest of the sky area around and between the trees.  

JFF 11-5-10 002

- Now continue with the original technique by placing a scrap of white paper over the embossed area, iron to melt and remove the embossing powder.  This will reveal the lighter color of alcohol ink ~ against the darker blue background it is amazing.

JFF 11-5-10 003

To finish off this card I added a layer of gesso along the bottom edge and on the tree boughs to mimic snow.

JFF 11-5-10 004

After it was dry I added a bit of Stormy Sky Distress Ink to the peaks to highlight the dimension created by using gesso.

JFF 11-5-10 005

I then added two reindeer that were stamped and embossed on glossy cardstock which had previously been inked with Espresso, Latte & Caramel Alcohol Inks.

JFF 11-5-10 008

I finished the card off by stamping the sentiment in the upper left hand corner using Archival Ink. 

So there you go...

A fun variation to bring a little bit of variety to your cards.

Hope you give it a try!

8 comments:

  1. I love the dimension you brought to the card with these techniques, Roni. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful card Roni, bravo! I love that resist technique and I can't wait to try it. I get so much great information from your blog that I can't thank you enough. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this blog. Thank you , thank you. lol, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these cards Roni and I never would have thought to make one area green just for the trees. Sometime it is the obvious things we miss. I also love that you always explain how you got the look. :) Since you explain so well I have a questions about your gesso. Yours looks thick almost like a paste that you can make dimensions with. I bought one that is runny and goes on just like paint so the few times Ive used it Ive been like "This stuff isn't so much fun!" So maybe mine isn't the right stuff?!?! Oh Help us Queen of the Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I love your gesso snow too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovin’ the possibilities with this…I’ll never look at my alcohol inks or stamps the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wouawwwww fantastic resist technic..your are marvelous!!! thanks a lot for that discover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! Thanks for sharing the technique!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!