A few weeks ago I asked the question about old items in your stash that you'd like to get used up. One item I heard quite often was label holders! Of course you can still use them on cards and scrapbooks but more often than not they stay hidden in your pile of goodies. Well dig em out and dust em off! We're going to put them to use!
Another main component of this project is the foundation which can be a variety of materials. I am using a end cut off a 1x6 board but you can use just about any piece of cut off wood you might have laying around. If you don't have any boards handy you can always stop by your local lumber yard or home improvement store and ask if they have any cut-offs. Usually they are very inexpensive ~ around 1.00 or so.
There is another option you might choose to use for your foundation if the above options don't work for you. Recycle an old wooden plaque! Many people have these relics laying around that work perfectly for this type of project. If you don't have one you might know someone who does. I have also seen these gems at garage sales and second hand stores for .25 - .50! Doesn't get much better than that!
Stamped Key Organizer
Nails (for label holders)
1. Sand the board to remove any rough edges and/or splinters.
2. Cover your board with desired color(s) of spray inks. I am making this for my niece for Christmas so I am using pink, yellow and purples. Apply one color at a time, let it dry completely then apply the next. This keeps your inks from mixing too much making mud ink. ;)
3. Stamp desired images on your board with clear embossing ink. Sprinkle the ink with several colors of embossing powders.
If you will notice I also rubbed my embossing ink along the edge of my organizer to frame it a bit.
Heat to melt and set the embossing powders.
4. Determine placement of your label holders. Mount to the board using small nails or screws.
5. Screw the hooks into the board about .25" - .50" below the label holders.
6. Wrap a matching length of ribbon to the outer edge of your board securing with a strong glue. (I haven't done this yet...I need to get a piece of purple ribbon long enough for my board.)
7. Attach the picture hanger to the back of the board.
You're stamped key organizer is finished!
Now of course there are hundreds of ways you could actually decorate the board it's self. Inking and stamping is only one of MANY ideas... You could also decoupage, paint, crackle, cover it with pattern paper, fabrics, etc.
The basic idea is all the same....
recycle a piece of cut-off board (or old plaque), decorate and enjoy!