Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Inked & Embossed Acetate Window Cards

Today I have a fun technique that you could incorporate into cards (as I used in today's examples), tags, ATC's, Scrapbook Pages, Mini Albums, Collage & Altered Art projects, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Inked & Embossed

Acetate Window Cards

Inked Acetate 001

Supplies:

Acetate

Alcohol Ink

Archival Ink

Embossing Folder

Exacto Knife or Paper Punch or Die-cut Machine

Stamps

Cardstock

Instructions:

1. Apply 1-3 colors of Alcohol Ink to your acetate sheet. I normally don't add more than 3 colors because at that point they tend to get muddy.

Inked Acetate 003

2. Insert your inked acetate sheet into the embossing folder. Either run it through your die-cut machine or pound it with a rubber mallet.

Inked Acetate 005

This is what your acetate might look like at this time...

Inked Acetate 006

3. (optional) If desired you may highlight your embossed design by rubbing desired color of Archival (or Staz-On) ink over the embossed areas.

Inked Acetate 007

4. Cut a sheet of cardstock ~ 5.5" x 12". Crease the cardstock at the 3.8" (almost 4") mark and at 8". You will end up with a tri fold card.

Inked Acetate 008

5. Fold the 3.8" section over the second section so you now have a regular bi-fold 4" x 5.5" sized card.

6. Next you will need to create a window in the front panel of your card. You can do this one of several ways.....

You could use a jumbo or giga paper punch and punch the shape in both layers of paper as shown....

Inked Acetate 010

You could trace any shape you desire and cut it out using an exacto knife....

Inked Acetate 014

Inked Acetate 016

Or

You could use a die-cut machine and use one of those movable dies (like Sizzix has) or use something like a Cricut machine to cut a window.

7. Adhere a piece of the inked and embossed acetate over the opening. Fold the extra flap over and secure hiding the acetate.

8. Finish off the card as desired!

Here are a couple finished examples using this technique. The first example I highlighted the embossed design with ink, the second example I left plain.

Inked Acetate 020

Inked Acetate 021

Inked Acetate 018

Inked Acetate 019

So there you go ~

something fun to try...

go ahead ~ it's your turn!

Dig out your Alcohol Ink...

toss in your favorite Embossing Folder

and

CREATE!

18 comments:

  1. Roni... I'm sure I have left you comments like this before, but I need to tell you again how much I appreciate all your techniques you share. Time and time again I drop by to pick up on some inspiration, and you never disappoint. Many thanx for all your creative endeavors and look forward to many more to come... Yours creatively :) Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - and just perfect for Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it....the glitterangel was right on when she said,,,just perfect..heck for any holiday;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Roni for sharing this brilliant technique as would never have thought about doing it this way. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful technique. I will be back again to study this once I get some acetate. Thank you for sharing such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME! AWESOME! This technique looks super Roni!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a new idea for cards this holiday season.... just found what I was looking for!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this tutorial~!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow!!!! What an incredibly fabulous technique - I absolutely love it. I will *definitely* give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roni!!! I love this technique!! It would be fun for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh love this idea - might have to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! I did this last year. I don't have alcohol inks, I just used my scrapbook markers to color the plastic. I've saved and used backing sheets from clear stamps after I've reorganized them on laminate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Roni - this is a wonderful technqiue. tHanks for sharing. I need to use some of my alcohol inks and acetate and give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Every time I think I can not love my new Big Shot any more, I find another fabulous project you can make with it! Thank you, Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea -- I have been meaning to run some acetate through my embossing folders and now I know what I can do with them after!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I found my Christmas card. I will post on my blog when I get one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE IT!!! I am going to try this for my Christmas cards! What a great idea. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used this techinque without the embossing and it worked perfectly. I love your blog, I pick up such great ideas all the time. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful technique for Christmas cards! I have all kinds of ideas for this. I've seen this done but wasn't sure how to do it. LOVE my alcohol inks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!