Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dyed Rayon "Wrinkly" Ribbon

I can't believe how many people won't share how they dye the wrinkly rayon (seam binding) ribbon that is so popular right now. It's just crazy...(rolling eyes) it's not like it's a trade secret or something.

It's really easy after you find the rayon seam binding... I had a difficult time locating some because we don't have any nifty stores that carry it in our area. I could find the non-rayon type but no rayon.

Soooo, in come e-bay to the rescue!


I bought a whole 100yd roll of it so I wouldn't have to worry about finding it again for a while ;)


Dyed Rayon Wrinkly Ribbon

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 001

Instructions:

(Distress Ink Style)

1. Cut off desired length of ribbon.

2. Pounce desired color of Distress Ink on the non-stick craft mat.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 002

3. Spritz the ink with a bit of water...

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 003

4. Wad up the ribbon and dab it in the ink moving it around until the ribbon is covered in ink.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 004

Here is what it will look like at this point...not all of the ribbon has been inked which lots of people like. You can use the ribbon as is or continue.

5. If you want an all over dye job, squirt the ribbon with a bit of water and scrunch it around. The ink will migrate and color the entire ribbon at this point.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 006

6. To ensure your ribbon is wrinkly, scrunch it up while it's still wet. You can let it dry naturally or use a heat gun to dry it.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 007

Keep in mind the color will lighten as it dries.

Here is what the ribbon looks like at this point... You can use it as is or continue.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 008

Here is a little project I'm working on that has a bit of the ribbon dyed up to this point.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 009

7. To add a bit more depth to the ribbon I like to scrunch it back up after it's dry and rub my ink pad directly on the dyed ribbon. Move the ribbon around a couple times to ensure even coverage.

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 010

And here is what it looks like now....

Dyed Rayon - Wrinkle Ribbon 011

Easy as that!

If you'd like multi colored ribbon you can repeat steps 2-4 a couple times adding a different color each time. Be sure to let your ribbon dry between colors so they don't get muddy.

You can also use different types of inks to dye the ribbon as well. I find that Adirondack Dye Inks to yield VERY intense colors. Glimmer Mists work as well but the "glimmer" part doesn't show up as well as it does on paper. I have also used regular dye inks other than Distress Inks and they work super too :) So, go ahead...use what you have! It's all good!!

NOW...

Since I have such an abundance of seam binding I thought I'd share!

I'm going to give away 5 yards of plain rayon seam binding to 3 lucky people!

All you have to do is comment on this post by Sunday (9-19) and you'll be entered to win!

Good Luck Friends!!

53 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing how to dye the ribbon. Can't wait to ty it.. I love all the tips you give us almost day to day. Thanks for doing that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tips! Isn't it silly when people don't want to share their little secrets? I love passing on my knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to know its so easy to die seam binding it may be a little messy but so worth the out come. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic and looks so easy but extraordinarily effective. I just gotta try this technique. Thank you sooo much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ribbon turned out very pretty in the nice, fall colors. Have never heard of the Rayon edging before and didn't realize it was a secret. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh now aren´t you a dear offering up your long sought after on Ebay rayon ribbon to lucky three people....I tell you it is HARD to come by in Germany...least wise I have not found it yet,,if anyone reads this and KNOWS where it can be had in Germany,,let me know,,,but I really hope I get lucky on this giveaway:)....come on Roni,,,make my day!!
    Thanks for the tutorial too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here I was thinking I would need to go find the eBay person to buy some of this lovely ribbon. TFS the tip and the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always Roni, you are soooo generous with your techniques... and I wasn't aware that this even came in rayon... thnx for the tips !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kidding!!! It really is that easy??? Thank you for sharing this tip!!! Now I just need to win the binding, so pick me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the way you share your toys. Also thank you for sharing how to dye the ribbon. Please pick me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roni-you're a real sweetheart to share how this is done. Your generosity is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing, a great way to tie in your colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously? There are people who won't share this? Snort. Puh-leeze. I do like this ribbon, though. I've seen it, just don't have any...Thanks for being so generous, Roni, and I appreciate you sharing this wonderful tip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roni Thanks so much for sharing your technique. I had been using the reinkers and a plastic bag but it gets very messy. I like your idea better! :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to try this as I had trouble the last few times I tried to match the colors of my ribbon with the other colors in the card.
    I have some rayon seam binding, but it is in dark colors so not suitable. Can't wait to make a trip to the fabric store to see if they carry it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a neat technique! You could really have a lot of fun with it. I had never seen rayon ribbon dyed like this. It's very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great technique. Thanks so much for sharing. You are so creative and so giving - love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two of my fav things...ribbon and distress ink. I love your blog and all of the great tips. Thanks for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two of my fav things...ribbon and distress ink. I love your blog and all of the great tips. Thanks for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Thank you so much! I was wondering how folks were doing this. I'd only see some snippits about using Copic re-inkers. This is a lot easier and will use what I have. Now to find the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow ..... what a cool idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing & for offering a give away too. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ribbon looks great, distress inks are just the best..so many applications. I use them all the time.thanks for sharing, Shirley S

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ribbon looks great, distress inks are just the best..so many applications. I use them all the time.thanks for sharing, Shirley S

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for taking the mystery out of ribbon dyeing. I tried using Kool-Aid, what a mess. This will be so much easier.I used a different seem binding also, and it didn't turn out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for taking the mystery out of ribbon dyeing. I tried using Kool-Aid, what a mess. This will be so much easier.I used a different seem binding also, and it didn't turn out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I color ribbons all the time. My favorite is the May Arts silk ribbon ... it takes the inks very well. thanks for sharing, stamping sue

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this look and how you shared with us the secret of making it. Thank you,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I die! so pretty, thanks for sharing! holly

    ReplyDelete
  29. So appreciate you're willingness to share...you make a real difference in my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cool is that?! You are the best! Thanx for the tute, Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing! I've not heard of this ribbon, so this is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's a beautiful ribbon, I hope to win. The colors are wonderful.
    Amy from France

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just saw another fellow fiskateer use this stuff and make a beautiful bow out of it. They used glimmer mist to dye it. I am going to have to see if my local Joanns carries it. Very fun stuff

    ReplyDelete
  34. As always...thank u so much for sharing & breaking it down into simple instructions!:)

    Off to find a supplier or should I wait to see if I'll win some...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the tips on the ribbon. Now if I just had some to try it on it would be awesome!Love your blog and all your tutorials too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. And that's part of the reason we love your blog....you LIKE to share!! Great technique. I'll have to get some of the ribbon. It's awesome. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks! had seen the ribbon, just didnt know it was seam binding! got the inks...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your colors. So perfect for this time of the year. Thanks for sharing so much with us all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have some of this ribbon...for sewing, of course! Not anymore! Thanks for another great tip and tutorial! Can't wait to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great tips! I was wondering how people were dying the ribbon. Thanks for sharing the technique! Looks great!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can't wait to find (or win) me some!! Thanks... you always have such great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful tutorial on dying the ribbon. It looks so great, and has such depth of color.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great idea!! I will have to try it! Thanks for always sharing all your great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. serThanks Roni, I'm still working on your idea of the acetate cards. You come up with more ideas than I can get done. Keep up the great work. Love it and you.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! So pretty! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your goodies.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just recently discovered your blog-what a wealth of creative inspiration! Thanks so much; I will be checking in often!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi,

    I couldn't find on ebay this ribbon Hug Snug rayon ribbon.
    Is any other rayon fabric good enough?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Have tried this method, love the result but I find that the color is not permanent and if gotten wet, the color will bleed. I want to use it for Kumihimo jewelry but am afraid it will bleed on clothing. I have tried heat setting with an iron, still bleeds. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These inks aren't color fast. You'll need to use a dye ink that is permanent once dry. I will do some experimenting with this and post something soon.

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!