Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Inside Every Man...Altered Microscope Slide Mailer

One thing I love to alter is microscope slide mailers. They are soooo much fun and despite their diminutive size there is lots of space to play with.

Today I wanted to share my "Man" slide mailer.

In it I used two of my favorite guy stamps in my collection... The first image ~ (front of the mailer) is from River City Rubber Works ~ Enos Game Board Collage and the second image (inside) is from Oxford Impressions - Family Album. This image as are most of Oxford Impressions stamps are "photo realistic" stamps. These are highly detailed stamps and I have had the best success by using Archival Inks stamped onto Glossy Cardstock. You can stamp on plain cardstock but you just don't get the same level of detail as you do when stamped on the glossy cardstock.

Inside Every Man Micro Slide Mailer 005


Inside Every Man Micro Slide Mailer 006


Supplies:

Weathered Wood Distress Ink Re-Inker - Ranger

Mini Mister - Ranger

Adirondack Alcohol Inks - Ranger

Embossing Ink - Ranger

Black Embossing Powder - Ranger

Archival Ink - Ranger

Distress Inks - Ranger

Glossy Cardstock - Ranger

Krylon Metallic Paint Pen

Niji Waterbrush

Ribbon

Misc. Embellishments (domino, charms, buttons, etc.)

Computer Generated Text

Instructions:

1. Add a couple drops of Weathered Wood Distress Ink to the Mini Mister and fill it the rest of the way with water. Shake to mix well.

2. Spray both the inside and outside of the slide mailer with the ink. Let dry completely.

3. Once dry, stamp the man image on the front with clear embossing ink, sprinkle with embossing powder. Shake off excess and heat to melt powders.

Inside Every Man Micro Slide Mailer 001


4. Stamp boy image in glossy cardstock using Archival Ink.

5. Color the boy image using Distress Inks and the Niji Waterbrush. Let dry.

6. Trim image and insert and glue into the area where the glass slide would normally be housed.

Inside Every Man Micro Slide Mailer 004


7. Print saying on vellum, trim and adhere to the inside left portion of the slide mailer. Affix "Man" & "Boy" letters in the appropriate spaces.

Inside Every Man Micro Slide Mailer 003


8. Add additional distress inks and Krylon Metallic Paint Pen details as desired.

9 Embellish the front and inside with "lumpy" goodies...buttons, game pieces, charms, tokens, etc. I used Alcohol Inks to color some of the embellishments since they didn't originally match the color scheme I was going for.

10. Wrap ribbon around the spine and add charms.

ENJOY!!

So there you go...

now it's your turn!

Tomorrow I'll have a fun 4th of July project to share :)

Don't forget if you need a Patriotic saying for the 4th I have a whole list of


here on the blog as well as


Have a wonderful evening friends!!

7 comments:

  1. Love it ot bits- thanks for the tip regarding stamping on glossy paper- I never knew that, which is probably why I tend not to use them much because there was no guarantee of a clear image - but I will be now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I was wondering where your 'Man' and 'Boy' letters come from. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roni -

    Thank you so much for the wonderful reminder! Reminder? Yes, a few years ago I bought some slide mailers and forgot about them. You've just shown me a beautiful example of what can be done with them! Just lovely!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your slide mailer Roni!!! I would love to see you do more of these!!

    Hugs,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool!! But so is everything you do. Thanks again for showing us where you get the stamps. The more projects you show, the more I want to try every thing!! Now off to find some slide mailers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this, Roni. Lovelyl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful piece. Currently I'm obsessed w/ slide mailers. One thing I've found is a sad tiny amount only out on the web to view. Would love to see more and plan on taking a good look at your site!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!