Friday, December 11, 2009

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments - #14 - Faux Stain Glass Ornaments

Before I get to today's ornament I wanted to thank everyone for your kind comments about what I've shared so far. It is so cool to hear about and see what you've been making ~ specially the ones you made with your children/grandchildren :) I hope you'll enjoy the second half of the ornaments I have to share just as much!

I also wanted to say YES!! Every year my mom's card club exchange names for a Secret Sister game. I make a set of cards for each person to exchange through the year (8 holidays, birthday & anniversary). Well, today I finished them up!!!! They are all packaged up and ready to go ~ it's such a relief to have them done.

Now, on to the ornament...

25 Days of Hand Made Ornaments

#14 Faux Stain Glass Ornaments

This ornament uses the metallic outline stickers. I used Hot Off the Press stickers because that's the type I had in Christmas designs but there are soooo many different mfg. and designs on the market. That being said the prices come in a wide range as well ~ anywhere from $1.00 a sheet up to $4.00 a sheet.

This is also the first time I've used the Alcohol Ink Fillable Pen. Rather than having several pens each filled with a single color I filled mine with Blending Solution and cleaned the tip after each color. It worked like a charm! I'm will make a video soon demonstrating how to clean the tips quickly and easily.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 001

Supplies:

Alcohol Inks

Alcohol Ink Fillable Pen

Blending Solution

Outline Stickers

Ornament (Silver, Gold or Clear work best)

Instructions:

1. Carefully peel the sticker from the backing paper. Since these stickers are just outlines it can be tricky sometimes so you'll have to go slowly.

Note: Smaller stickers work better when working with ball type ornaments.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 002

2. Apply the sticker to your ornament. There may be areas that pucker ~ to smooth these out I usually use my fingernail to flatten them as best as I can. There may be a little notch here and there where the sticker meets it's self but it's not noticeable once you're finished. If you're having a really difficult time with it you can snip the sticker where needed and over-lap the two pieces. Either way works fine.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 003

3. Before you begin "painting", place a couple drops of each color of Alcohol Ink you want to use on the Non-Stick Craft Mat. Don't worry about it drying out ~ you'll be picking it up with the Blending Solution filled pen so it's no problem at all.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 004

4. Pick up the desired color with the Blending Solution filled pen.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 005

5. Paint or color the image just as you would if you were using a marker or paint brush.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 006

6. To clean the pen and switch colors scribble the pen on scrap paper.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 007

Then hold the nib in a clean tissue or soft cloth. Squeeze the nib and change areas of the cloth frequently. The cloth draw out the color as it pulls the Blending Solution from the pen.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 008

Works like a charm! It doesn't show real well in the photo but there is a bit of staining of the fibers on the very tip. You will know it's clean when you run the pen on the scrap paper and it leaves no color behind.

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 009

I know this sounds like it's very time consuming but it's really not...just a minute or so and the nib is clean.

An alternative to cleaning the nib each time would be to just buy some replacement nibs and switch them out each time.

7. Finish coloring the rest of the image.

And here is the finished faux stain glass ornament....

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 010

This is an example of what it looks like on clear ornaments...

Alcohol Ink & Stickers 011

VERY quick and oh so easy...

Be warned though...

these little devils are addictive - LOL!!

Hope you have a great evening Friends!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!!! I really love the look of these!!!! I've got to find one those fillable pen thingys! LOL I loved the stained glass effect on the clear glass one alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roni -

    Fantastic ornaments! These look like so much fun. And thanks for the tip on the pen. I have not bought them because there was on way I could afford one for each color of alcohol ink I have. And I don't have copics either, so this is a wonderful idea - you genius!!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super idea and they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on using the Blending Solution in the pen. And, as usual the ornaments are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of these..never thought to use them this way tho so tyvm! cher

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far this is my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to share all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!