Friday, April 10, 2009

Oven Baked UTEE Charms

Several people have mentioned that they don't have Melt Pots so I thought I'd share an alternate technique so they can get in on the fun too!

((This is also for all of you out there asking for charm ideas as well.))

Oven Baked UTEE Charms

Supplies:

UTEE

Collage Images (Tuscan Rose, Southern Blackberry Designs)

Mini Frames, Label Holders, Bottle Caps, etc.

Silicone Baking Sheet or Parchment Paper

Cookie Sheet

Oven

Oven Baked UTEE001

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 340 degrees F or 171 degrees C.

Oven Baked UTEE004

2. While the oven is pre-heating gather your frames & collage images.

3. Arrange the collage images on the silicone baking sheet or parchment paper. I like to leave quite a bit of space between each image so each charm heats evenly once it's in the oven.

Oven Baked UTEE002

4. Place the frames (or label holders) over each of the collage images*. There is no need to glue the images to the frames, once the UTEE melts it will act as an adhesive.

Oven Baked UTEE007

*Alternative - If you're making bottle cap charms, simply place the bottle caps on the baking mat/parchment paper and place the image in the cap.

5. Fill the frame/label holder/bottle cap with a mount of UTEE. You will want a nice mound of the UTEE.

Oven Baked UTEE003

6. Put the baking sheet into the oven. Now the length of time you will need to bake your charms varies ~ factors such as size of the charm, amount of UTEE, your ovens individual temperature characteristics, heat & humidity, etc. Your best bet is to just keep an eye on them. My charms took 2 minutes for the UTEE to melt completely.

7. After the UTEE has melted, check to see if you are satisfied with the results. If you feel the charm needs additional UTEE, add it now and return to the oven. Once your charms have been filled to your satisfaction, remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the charms/UTEE cool.

Oven Baked UTEE007

8. It's time to get to work... As soon as the UTEE has set but is still warm, you need to examine your charms. If some of your charms were over filled or leaked the molten UTEE from one side or another, as the first photo demonstrates, trim the excess UTEE using a sharp pair of scissors.

Oven Baked UTEE011

If you notice bits of melted UTEE on the frame it's self as below, while the UTEE is still warm, wipe it off with a cloth.

Oven Baked UTEE010

Your charms are ready for use! Add a bail, jump ring, etc and add it to any number of projects!!

Oven Baked UTEE010

Oven Baked UTEE009

Oven Baked UTEE011

Oven Baked UTEE010

Now there are a couple of neat benefits to baking UTEE...First, it melts it so quickly there is virtually no time for the UTEE to over heat and turn yellow. This is probably one of the best ways to achieve clear glass quality!

Another benefit is it's relatively quick and very easy. Simply pour and melt. No handling of the molten UTEE and less chances of burning yourself.

The best benefit I find is the collage images soak up the UTEE and turn transparent. Now I know this photo isn't the best ~ I couldn't figure out how to hold the charm up to the light and take the photo without getting a bad glare. I hope you can at least get some idea of how the light passes through the charm/image. It is so cool in person!

Oven Baked UTEE012

Well there you have it...another fun UTEE technique!

I hope that you've enjoyed all of the UTEE ideas, techniques and projects I've shared over the last couple weeks. Like I mentioned before ~ I've got lots more UTEE ideas, projects and techniques tucked away for you but will share those in the future.

I do have one more thing I want to share tomorrow...how to melt/mix various colors of UTEE and pour it so it doesn't come out as mud...which it will very easily if you're not careful.

I know some of you have a full weekend planned so if I don't see you before I want to wish you a very Happy Easter ~ stay safe and enjoy your time with family and friends!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Roni, thanks for sharing! This is so cool and useful for me especially when I do not have a melting pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome alternative. Great samples too! I look forward to the mixing one. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this - I've been moping over your previous posts since I do not have a melting pot! And I don't think my hubby would let me use the raglette grill for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all the UTEE techniques. Can you please tell the degrees in celsius for the oven setting.
    Margriet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea us Non Melt Potters can play now as well. Thanks for your awesome insight! I can't wait to make some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic charms, Roni. Love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful!

    Where do you get mini frames?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome charms, and great step by step instructions! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!