Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Faux Rusty Metal Examples

I promised to share some examples using the technique I shared yesterday of making Faux Rusty Metal using sandpaper & Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers. What I love about this is it really does feel like scale-y rusty metal!!

Again, all of these cards are Father's Day Cards but you could use the faux rusty metal for anything.

These first 3 cards were made using the first technique ~ dabbing paint onto the sand paper in layers & blending with your finger or damp cloth.

UR #1 Dad

Supplies: Sandpaper; Adirondack Acrylic Dabber - Espresso, Gold, Lettuce, Hazelnut, Archival Ink - Ranger; Autumn Leaves Stamps; MM Clear Letters; hand-cut stars from the faux rusty metal.

Faux Rusty Metal004

Dad Circle Sentiment

Supplies: Sandpaper; Adirondack Acrylic Dabber - Copper, Lettuce, Bottle, Archival Ink - Ranger; Sentiment - Autumn Leaves; Man - Stampers Anonymous; Copper Brads - Crafts Etc.; copper washers - unknown

Faux Rusty Metal001

Keys

Supplies: Sandpaper; Adirondack Acrylic Dabber - Copper, Silver, Espresso, Archival Ink, Distress Inks (to color image) - Ranger; Image - Stampington & Co; Pin - Tim Holtz Hardware; Vintage Keys - personal collection

Faux Rusty Metal003

This card was made using the 2nd technique ~ dabbing a bit of paint onto the non-stick craft mat, misting with water and dabbing onto the sandpaper with your finger.

Father

Supplies: Sandpaper, Adirondack Acrylic Dabber - Espresso, Archival Ink, Walnut Stain Distress Ink - Ranger; Image - TAC; Gears - Tim Holtz Hardware; Brads - JoAnn Crafts; Letter Stickers - Sticko

Faux Rusty Metal002

So what do you think? Fun stuff huh? I'd have to say that "Keys" is my favorite card...the faux rusty metal on that card looks and feels so realistic, it's amazing! It even started to flake like real metal does - LOL!!
Hope you give it a try and let me know what you think!
Have a super day!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi- just dropped by to take a look at your painting with alcohol inks, and stayed for at least a 1/2 hr looking at your blog. I can see already that your crazy about techniques as am I! Hope to see more playing around with alcohol inks too- my collection is growing quickly!
    Sorry I didn't comment on each post, but I'm subscribing via google reader so you'll see me around. Happy stamping! Adelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...Keys is my favorite too! Wow...what a super technique! I really like the one with the old truck too.
    So who are you giving all these Fathers Day cards too???!!! I mean, how many dads do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I love the combinations of the various sandpaper textures and colors...then with great focal images and embellishments--oooh weeee fantastic work Roni! Thanks so much for sharing!
    ...Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks roni for the inspiration about sandpapers. i did try it and made a card for my father.. but i did not took a pic of it anymore. lol. again, thanks for everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info Roni and awesome blog! I have a post on my blog about your blog as a result of winning the Tim Holtz Goodie Box giveaway and have also put a link to your blog on mine. I will be visiting your blog daily!!!! Thanks Roni!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone :)

    Will definately be playing with AI's more Adelle! I love them too...lots of fun!

    Karen - I sell cards locally so they will all be put to use ;) Just 1 dad...well 2 if you count FIL - LOL!!

    Robin - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!